/"Don't forget about having heat and defrost on. At an average city speed of
12mph, those accessories eat up quite a bit of power."/

That's the main effect. Those are constant power loads so the energy per
mile consumed increases with decreasing speed. A graph of total energy per
mile the vehicle uses, traction plus these constant power loads is a
somewhat U-shaped curve, increasing greatly at low speeds due to the
constant power loads, and increasing again a very high speeds due to
increasing traction power.  On my car there is a fairly broad "sweet spot"
centered around 40-45 mph. Plus all the re-acceleration on hills. I can
easily believe energy consumption is that high.

More on topic...When you scope out charging options Cal keep in mind that
you need redundancy. You have to be able to get to work each day, so you
can't afford to place all your bets on one or two EVSE or outlets that may
not be available, may not be working, or may go away.  I think I would use
the light rail if it doesn't require fairly long walks in Cleveland winters.
I'd also consider a Volt since your gas consumption and carbon emissions
would be small for such a commute, especially if you get to charge at work
much of the time.

My car is a conversion, but it has about 80 mile range like the Leaf, and
I've been driving it for over 7 years as my main car.  I've never been
stuck, but that's because I always have a back up plan for charging when I
drive far enough away that I must charge to get home.