On 2 May 2017 at 9:05, Collin Kidder via EV wrote:

> Doing so is likely to be seen as theft (of electricity).

Here's some totally uninformed speculation.  Anyone who knows otherwise,
please correct me.

A Tesla is like an ankle bracelet that you drive, always connected to the
net, reporting to Tesla on your movements and the car's state.  Tesla no
longer includes unlimited charging in the original price of the car, yes? So
wouldn't you think that Tesla's charger must have some way to determine
whether any given Tesla is allowed to use them for free?

Thus I'd be very surprised if the chargers don't read the car's VIN, check
with Tesla, and log the transaction, before they allow the charge to begin..
Since Tesla (presumably) always knows where every car is, it could also
check to see where it had last seen that car ID, and whether that was
consistent with the charging request.  It could also check other data for
consistency -- last known accumulated mileage, last known state of charge,
and so on.

So you probably couldn't just feed the charger some random VIN.  Spoofing a
particular known VIN or even choosing from a list of known VINs probably
wouldn't work either.  And as Collin pointed out, unless you were
successfully spoofing a new car's VIN that didn't include the charging in
the purchase price, you'd be stealing anyway.  Even then, I suspect Tesla
woudn't look very approvingly on what you were doing.

It does seem like a shame and a waste to have all those chargers and not
make them available to the entire EV community.  Imagine what it'd be like
today if Ford, Chevrolet, and Chrysler had done that -- each built filling
stations that would work with only THEIR cars.  Heck, maybe what are now the
"big three" would be the bit players, and most of us would be driving
Edisons, Galvanis, and Voltas that could plug in and charge anywhere!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator