I agree that Solar vehicles are practical in certain applications.  The
ability to charge and move in remote areas without relying upon any
external infrastructure is very appealing to a certain audience.  Just look
at the explosive growth (pun not intended) in home battery storage, no one
thought that owning and maintaining a home pack would be attractive to so
many. Creating and storing your own energy didn't sound practical for homes
on paper, so why can't it work for vehicles?

My Solar Firefly (link below) certainly wasn't built for the ocean or even
a lake larger than few miles long.  It is very odd looking and considered
fugly by most. But it works great on my 1.5 mile long lake where a sailboat
wouldn't be practical.  It has done so for 6 years now and no one will
argue its the best boat to fish off- especially the 5 gentlemen I had on
the other day that caught 26 Bass!

Not every car owner drives their vehicles every day- many only once or
twice a week.  Plenty of daylight time to charge a pack for a couple
commutes.  Like Willie said It's these niche few that will drive mainstream
adoption tomorrow even when it's not practical today for most.

Cheers
Dan

http://www.evalbum.com/3432