From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Lawrence Rhodes via
EV
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 6:25 PM
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: Lawrence Rhodes
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Solar vehicles..just do the math.

Bob Said:The practical application of solar panels on a car are not for
propulsionbut for charging while parked.  The typical car sits at work under
the sun for 8 hours a day.  With just 500W worth of solar panels during an 8
hour day, replenishes possibly 10 miles of range.  Usually plenty enough to
get back home for the small EV and commuting.
This is true for the typical conversion or OEM EV.  However as you lower the
weight and raise the quantity of panels you will find the solar vehicle more
useful.  In other words you are thinking in an old engineering way.  We need
to think lighter. Like an RV that is 22 feet long 8 feet wide.  About as
light as a Nissan Leaf.  You say this is impossible uuuh... They made them
in the 60's and 70's.  Called the Ultravan they were ahead of their time.
Getting 18mpg with a Corvair motor.  They were constructed like an airplane
fuselage out of aluminum.  Many are still on the road.  A few used ones go
up for sale from time to time. A Leaf drive train in one would be very
useful.  I am sure you could get close to 4kw of solar panels on one.
Lawrence Rhodes