Isn't a bug air cooled? It doesn't have a heater core.

Do you mean a modern water cooled bug.

In any case, I use a tank heater and pump to circulate hot antifreeze through the original heater core.

The pro is you don't have to dig into the dash, the con is there is a bit of plumbing to do.

I consider 1500W the bare minimum. My tank heater is 3000W and does pretty well.

Al