The efficiency never drops below that of a resistive heater.

They don't do their magic much below ~10 Fahrenheit, but they will work to below zero. They actually have a resistive heater built into the outside unit to defrost the coils if they build up ice. I have two heat pumps on my house in Colorado and one on the garage. They have always worked, even on the coldest days.

BTW
There is heat in air all the way to absolute zero. (-459.67 F)  At this point, it contains no (zero) heat. The air turns completely to a solid below about 63 Kelvin (About -350 F) so you wouldn't care. :-)

Bill D.