Again, Solar Thermal is dead,dead,dead according to almost all articles I
have seen.

Solar thermal hot water heating is about 75% efficient but ONLY IF 100% of
that heat is used.

Solar PV is only 15% “efficient” but is now at least FIVE TIMES CHEAPER
than a solar water heater for the same square foot of panel.  Bingo that
makes them EQUAL as far as investment is concerned.

My point with the Grid-tie is that you get full retail value for every
“convertible” photon that hits your array no matter whether it is heating
hot water, or once the water is hot, then it goes to the net meter and you
still get full retail value for it.

Plus, even disregarding the 5 times cheaper solar panel than thermal hot
water heating system, and pumps and motors and maintenance, you still get a
TRIPLE in efficiency when the 15% PV panel drives a 300% efficient heatpump
water heater.  So even apples to apples, the 15% is now reaqlly equal to
45% relative to heating water.  But five or more times cheaper and
maintenance free.

The point is with solar thermal, that every SUNY day when the sun has fully
heated the tank by say 1 PM, then the rest of the solar day is producing
ZERO return on ivesment.

Whereas with PV, the extra solar on a sunny day is being banked in your
net-meter at full retail value for use later…

I ikonw this is off-topic for the EV list, but making sure everyone
understands the value of heatpump technology will help with Car heating too.

Hope that clarifies.

Bob