The "mini split" type heat pumps and AC units that I have installed in my house have a single outside unit and multiple (2) inside units.

The inside units have a finned coil and a fan. The outside units have a finned coil, fan, compressor, and the control electronics. (They have variable frequency drives running _everything_.) The inside units typically mount near the ceiling on the wall.

Here is a link with pictures of a typical installation:
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/mini-splits/#.Wh-azHlrxpg

The ones with a high SEER rating are _unbelievably_ quiet. Less noise that a refrigerator. We often completely forget that they are on. Maybe 45 dB with the fan set to maximum.

Typically, we set the fan speed to "automatic" so the fan speed varies with the demand on the system. The system slowly ramps up and down to meet the demand. All fans and the compressor are controlled by VFD's so nothing cycles on and off. You set the temperature on the remote and the system heats or cools to maintain that temperature in that room. The units each have there own remote and you can set the temperature of each room independently. (You can't set one room to heat and another to cool if the inside units share an outside unit.)

On the particular model we have, you can chose to set the temperature sensor on the remote, or on the wall unit, to control the wall unit. Thus, if you are working at your desk that is some distance from the wall unit, you set the remote to sense the temperature, and place the remote near you.

The high SEER demands that the temperature difference between the room and the finned coil be as low as practical. There is no reason to have 120 F air coming out of the inside unit, unless you have set the desired room temperature that high. (I think the maximum room temperature set point is maybe 90 F.) The air coming out of the unit is maybe 5 or 10 degrees different than the desired room temperature.

Folks that have these modern units absolutely love them. We bought one at first for the master bedroom and the office. After a year, we bought one for the other side of the house, and then bought one for the garage.

Bill D.