Here in THAILAND it's what most use

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Dube via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: ev <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: Bill Dube <billd...@killacycle.com>
Sent: Thu, Nov 30, 2017 01:16 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Heat pump vs resistive Heater (never buy another AC unit)

The "mini split" type heat pumps and AC units that I have installed in
my house have a single outside unit and multiple (2) inside units.

The inside units have a finned coil and a fan. The outside units have a
finned coil, fan, compressor, and the control electronics. (They have
variable frequency drives running _everything_.) The inside units
typically mount near the ceiling on the wall.

Here is a link with pictures of a typical installation:
target="_blank">https://www.bobvila.com/articles/mini-splits/#.Wh-azHlrxpg</a>

The ones with a high SEER rating are _unbelievably_ quiet. Less noise
that a refrigerator. We often completely forget that they are on. Maybe
45 dB with the fan set to maximum.

Typically, we set the fan speed to "automatic" so the fan speed varies
with the demand on the system. The system slowly ramps up and down to
meet the demand. All fans and the compressor are controlled by VFD's so
nothing cycles on and off. You set the temperature on the remote and the
system heats or cools to maintain that temperature in that room. The
units each have there own remote and you can set the temperature of each
room independently. (You can't set one room to heat and another to cool
if the inside units share an outside unit.)

On the particular model we have, you can chose to set the temperature
sensor on the remote, or on the wall unit, to control the wall unit.
Thus, if you are working at your desk that is some distance from the
wall unit, you set the remote to sense the temperature, and place the
remote near you.

The high SEER demands that the temperature difference between the room
and the finned coil be as low as practical. There is no reason to have
120 F air coming out of the inside unit, unless you have set the desired
room temperature that high. (I think the maximum room temperature set
point is maybe 90 F.) The air coming out of the unit is maybe 5 or 10
degrees different than the desired room temperature.

Folks that have these modern units absolutely love them. We bought one
at first for the master bedroom and the office. After a year, we bought
one for the other side of the house, and then bought one for the garage.

Bill D.