In a house I have in Hermosillo Mexico, a desert area with extreme hot
weather and dry winters, tipically from 40-45C (113F) in the sumer and
nearly 0C (32F) freezing temps, but always below 50% humidity, makes it
mandatory to have an air conditioning systems. My experience about 2yrs
ago: we used to have multi-split AC units (only for cooling) during the
summer and small 1.5Kw ceramic heaters for heating at each of two bedroom
in the winter time.

Last year we replaced the splits AC units for a new ones with heating
capability (heat pump ones) just like the one Bill Dube mentioned. It is a
beauty to see those unit work!  Are very quiet, and realy efficient. We
noticed a significant winter electric bill drop due to less energy
consumption on heating. No gas/furnace is use in MX cause elecricity is
cheaper than gas.

Before installing the equipment, I didn't wanted to have in the roof
without looking inside the units and considering I could have void the
warranty, I decided to open one and see how the thing worked; The
compressor was a 3 phase AC motor technology driven by a 240Vac smart
controller, taking the AC from the utility, making HV DC and then
modulating the right amplitude and AC frequency into the motor for maximum
efficiency. So does the same thing for the outside/inside fans. When I saw
that, I mapped the controller power electronics and came with the idea
that; If I was able to directly feed HV DC power right at the capacitors
bank before converting the DC energy into variable AC, I could technically;
make it work with a HV DC battery or solar array system or at least a
hybrid system during day/night.

That became a personal project to start building but I had to stop it since
I moved to another place. But then I was able to find other systems that
actually are sold just like that: Hybrids heat pumps:
http://www.hotspotenergy.com/solar-air-conditioner/

..which tecnically is an all 3 phase driven unit with a step-up DC-DC power
supply (from 20-40V to 300V DC). Awsome!

I also do have an 'evacuated tubes' solar water heather with a 30G thermo
tank, and it works wonderfull for that house. That thing makes the water
boil every single day in a sunny summer day that I have to partially cover
it (no other water heater system is needed for the house needs)

My point of all this is: Maybe PV solar is not 100% efficient, but using
the generated electricity to produce heat on a heat pump system may be as
well as efficient to using direct solar water heating. Just like it was
mentioned before, a heat pump is technically a 'heat exchanger' depending
of the perspective you see it (for cooling or heating) and the energy used
is for the exchange process not to produce heat as resistive heaters. But
solar water heaters are 'Passive' components that may last 10X times that
any heat pump device with actual techology, consume zero energy (other than
the sun) and have zero moving parts.  Both can store energy during the
night and both methods have different applications at different needs.