You don't have to look very far to get a grip on the supply difficulties
that are here already. Tesla hasn't come close to their minuscule 500,000
vehicles a year goal and the existing market for battery materials is close
to tapped out.

Build up of mining capabilities will inevitably happen, but it will not be
fast and there are orders of magnitude more needed just to handle cells for
vehicles.

And we are saying that batteries for grid storage is "there?" Not a chance.

https://electrek.co/2016/11/01/
*breakdown-raw-materials-tesla-batteries-possible-bottleneck/*
<https://electrek.co/2016/11/01/breakdown-raw-materials-tesla-batteries-possible-bottleneck/>

Cobalt is sourced only from the Congo. This supply chain is very tenuous.
Cost in this article is said to be $27,000/tonne.

The article did not tally the mass of cobalt in a Li ion cell.  Musk is
most worried about Co supplies.

<goog_745312217>
https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/01/*no-cobalt-no-tesla/*
<https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/01/no-cobalt-no-tesla/>

http://www.co27.com/cobalt/about/

<http://www.co27.com/cobalt/about/>
" <http://www.co27.com/cobalt/about/>The Tesla Model S uses a 95 kWh
battery pack which contains *14.9 kg of cobalt per vehicle.*"

"The global *cobalt market was in a supply deficit in 2016* for the first
time since 2009"

http://benchmarkminerals.com/
*elon-musk-our-lithium-ion-batteries-should-be-called-nickel-graphite/*
<http://benchmarkminerals.com/elon-musk-our-lithium-ion-batteries-should-be-called-nickel-graphite/>

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/29/electric-cars-battery-manufacturing-cobalt-mining

--
Michael E. Ross