Actually, a 1200 mile HVDC line looses only about 5% of the energy
transmitted, so it is very efficient.  Now, these lines are expensive,
about $2 million/per mile, or $1.4 billion for a 1200 mile line, and the
longest one I know about is about 1500 miles in South America, so they
can't really transmit electricity around the globe, but they can efficiency
transmit to a large part of a major continent, so they can greatly reduce
the amount of storage needed.

Now batteries (either in EVs or after they have been removed from EVs for
storage), can provide huge amounts of storage for a number of hours or a
few days, but you need something else, e.g., stored H2 to store energy for
weeks or months.

)

-Larry

--