Michael Ross said (in part):
The grid is a super storage medium. If we were more interconnected
worldwide, then a series of large solar arrays could do it all. You just
need enough of them facing the sun at any given time and then batteries can
take their better place as mobile storage. This arrangement beats the heck
out of digging all the copper and cobalt needed for stationary storage.

jim--- via EV wrote:
Unfortunately not practical.  Transmission line losses if nothing else would
rule it out.  There are other issues as well.

It's hard to say. There are already some mighty long transmission lines, and their percentage losses are quite small.

--
Whether we or our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all
our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory,