On 10 Jul 2020 at 15:48, paul dove via EV wrote:

> ThatTMs nuts. Batteries are still the barrier. You canTMt even convert one
> with that much range for that price

Not so fast there.  The EV economy of scale we've been talking about for 25+
years is finally happening, at least in Europe and Asia.  Development is
moving quickly, and competition on price and range is starting to heat up.

In Germany, the 2020 VW E-Up is 17,595 euros ($19,706) after incentives.  It
has a 36.8kWh battery and a range of 260km (160mi).

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/e/first-drives/volkswagen-e-
2020-uk-review

Or how about a Renault City K-ZE? Getting solid info is a bit frustrating,
with published prices varying from $8,700 to $12,000, and range from 250km
(155mi) to 270km (170mi), depending on the source.  The battery is 26.8kWh.

It's currently offered only in China, but a modified version with improved
safety, more power, and no doubt a higher price, will probably appear in
Europe in 2021.  It may be sold under the Dacia name.  My guess is that
they'll offer it at around the VW E-Up's price.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_City_K-ZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ5ymZpVpt0

Anything else you'd like to say is nuts?  :-)

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
     "Pray, Mr.  Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will
     the right answers come out?"  I am not able rightly to apprehend the
     kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

                                       -- Charles Babbage