On 10 Jul 2020 at 23:47, Lee Hart via EV wrote:

> a report by JATO Dynamics shows that an all-electric car priced at $1
> in 2011 would now cost $0.52 in China, but $1.42 in Europe and $1.55 in
> the US.

This is interesting, and despite the falling costs in China, disappointing
if true.  We are headed in the wrong direction.

I wonder, does the report adjust for inflation?  More importantly, is it
comparing equivalent EVs?  In most cases the batteries are larger, even in
similar models, and the range is much better.  For example, Nissan and
Renault have more than doubled the size of the batteries in the Leaf and Zoe
since they introduced the cars in 2011 and 2012.

Also, the automakers (surprise, surprise) seem to be introducing larger and
larger EVs every year.

Maybe the problem is that they've taken note of Tesla's success in courting
rich folks as customers.  Instead of aiming for other less well-healed
buyers, they'd rather compete for Tesla's.  That way they sell fewer
vehicles, but they make more profit on each.

Ford, GM, and Chrysler have lots of experience with that strategy here in
the US.  They've sold small cars grudgingly, and only because of the CAFE
requirements.  They've never offered us their smallest, most affordable,
most efficient vehicles.  Those they sent to other countries where incomes
are lower, fuel is more expensive, streets are narrower, and parking is more
of a challenge.  In recent decades they've even started to phase out
everything except trucks and SUVs for the US.

I suspect that if you subjected ICEVs to a similar analysis, you'd see
similar cost increases, at least in US and EU.  China, I'm not so sure
about.  That would be interesting to read.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my