For the prototype, it uses electricity from the grid. In production, it could power itself - or not. The inventors proposed a portable, truck mounted system that could be taken to various sites, so they are mostly thinking of self powered. I don't know the amount of energy required to produce a unit of energy, but it definitely comes out strongly on the beneficial side.

From my point of view, biofuel shouldn't compete with wind, solar, etc.
We should build out the latter and switch as much energy usage as possible to electricity generated them them. Biofuel can be used to generate virgin plastic and run jet planes - better than than more extraction.

Peri

<< Annoyed by leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>

------ Original Message ------
From: "EVDL Administrator via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "EVDL Administrator" <evp...@drmm.net>
Sent: 09-May-21 3:38:22 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] opinion article on hydrogen

On 9 May 2021 at 18:30, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

 I've seen a prototype reactor (high pressure, high temp, with a
 catalyst)

I'm all for snagging energy from the waste stream, but pressure and heat
require energy input.  Where will it come from?  And how does that input
compare with the energy that the product produces?  That's the big hammer
hanging over ethanol's head, too.

I may be missing something, but I don't see any comparable ongoing energy
input for PV, wind, tidal, or geothermal sources.