From: "Peter VanDerWal via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: p...@ingineerix.com; "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "Peter VanDerWal" <e...@vanderwal.us>
Sent: 09-May-21 9:47:24 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] opinion article on hydrogen

May 8, 2021 10:10 AM, "(-Phil-) via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

 From what research I've done, I believe BioFuels are a better stop gap than
 H2.

Perhaps some day this will be true.  However, the major 'biofuel' we produce in
the USA is ethanol and numerous studies indicates that the way we produce
ethanol uses more pertroleum fuel that it offsets.
Worse than that, the polution that results from farming and refining ethanol
(mostly)stays in this country while the majority of the ethanol is sold to
overseas customers.

Then there is the fact that growing biofuel uses a lot of land (as well as
other resources), if we used ALL of the arable land in the USA to grow biofuel,
it wouldn't offset even 1/4 of our petroleum consumption.  And of course if we
use all of the land to grow fuel, we wouldn't have any food to eat.

If we could figure out how to grow fuel without consuming massive amount of
petroleum, then it might make sense to grow limited amount of biofuel for those
applications that can't be solved with electricity.  However, I suspect that
long before we solve that problem, there will no longer be applications that
can't be solved with electricity, or some other green solution they might come
up with.

My PGP public key: https://vanderwal.us/evdl_pgp.key