It was a Chinese-made Pioneer, I don't recall the model, but it was the
larger of the two offered at the time (about 10 years ago), the smaller one
had an AC fan, and the larger one was BLDC.   It had a PFC boost function
to about 400VDC.   It was hooked to an 85kWh 16 module pack.   Since the
max voltage of this pack was inline with the PFC boost bus, it all worked
perfectly.  I just bypassed the PFC stage.

Even without PFC, any 240v appliance has to be rated to handle +/- 10%, so
that's 264VAC or about 350VDC when dumped into a full bridge at the filter
capacitor.   Chances are the limit is going to be the voltage rating on
those filter caps.  Usually 400VDC, though some have better headroom at
450VDC.   Some equipment targeted for industrial use is rated for 277VAC
(one wye leg of 480VAC), in which case it's designed to see up to 305VAC
which works out to about 405VDC.

If you are wanting to do this the best way is to locate the service manuals
for various units you are interested in, and then look at the wiring
diagram.  It's usually really obvious which uses AC fan motors.
For instance, here's the wiring for the indoor unit on the LG unit I have
in my shop, as you can see, it's fully capable of DC except for the
built-in condensate pump, so you'd have to do something about that:

(Picture Link https://ingineerix.com/pic/?lg-heat-pump-idu )