On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 1:35 PM Lawrence Winiarski via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
> That means our 240 has a slight advantage in that each leg is only 120v above
> ground, while I think some countries have a 240 with a hot and neutralleg.

The USA 240V is a split-phase system, meaning two 120V phases in 180
deg offset, simply created by a single winding with center tap off a
11kV mid voltage line and distribution transformer AKA "Pole Pig" if
it is one of the round barrel, pole mounted transformers.
The split phase is helping to reduce the amount of copper needed to
transport the 120V, because the Neutral return current from one phase
cancels the return current from the other phase.
THat is one of the reasons that you are requested to do a load
analysis and phase balance calculation when requesting the permit for
a service panel.
So, the Neutral does not need to carry *twice* the current of the two
phases, but it needs only to be as large as a single phase, so your
copper use is 75% of a single 120V feed with double the copper in the
phase and double the copper in the Neutral return, instead you have 3
wires, each 50% smaller conductors, so a saving of 25%.

In Europe all power is 3-phase, every single home has 3 phase plus
neutral coming into the utility closet, but often only a single phase
meter gets installed, though you can get it swapped for 3 phase when
you need more power. Typically a house is provided at least with 25A
single phase 230V and in a block of houses every 3rd house is on the
same phase as your house. (babyphones that send the signal over the
power wires work best if you visit the neighbors 3 homes over)
Since all power is 3-phase and the returns of the current in the
Neutral again cancel each other out, the Neutral only needs to be as
big as one of the 3 phases, so the saving in copper is 33% as you only
need 4 wires instead of 6, or 2 wires of 3x the amount of copper, to
transport the necessary power.
That is also why upstream of the mid voltage distribution transformer,
all USA grids are also 3-phase and commercial sites are supplied with
3-phase, either 480V (3x277V) or 208V (3x 120V).
HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/