Most of the world outside North America, is 230-240 VAC to ground. Split single phase, 120-neutral-120, is essentially only in North America.

Normal circuit breakers are only single pole and only switch the live conductor. It is not common to find a circuit breaker that cuts the neutral as well as the live conductor. In the US, a two pole breaker is feeding a 240 circuit, and each conductor (black and white/red) are 120 Vac to neutral. The 240 v appliance may not have need of the neutral conductor.

In the the US and Canada, the neutral conductor is connected to the ground (earth) conductor ONLY in the main (first in line) service equipment ("panel"). The ground rod conductor and the plumbing bond conductor(s) also are connected at the main panel. Everywhere else the neural and ground are kept separate. This is the general practice in most of the world.

The neutral coming from the utility is indeed grounded in North America. It is also grounded in most of the rest of the world. It kind of has to be, if you think about it. The utilities often sink ground rods and run a ground wire here and there. They do this at least in one place near the step-down transformer serving the branch. However, after it branches to different houses on the same branch, they each connect the neutral to a ground rod conductor in each of their main panels.

What is interesting is that the live (hot) conductor in North America is the black colored one. Most other places, the black is neutral (ground potential).

The US has, by far, the world's thickest electrical code book. :-)

In NZ, they routinely run 10 amps through 1mm^2 wire. (You are allowed to put up to 16 amps depending on insulation type and installation methods.) This is equivalent to a 17 AWG wire. The wiring is much thinner in the rest of the world than it it is the US.

Bill D.