On 11 Mar 2024 at 20:33, Lawrence Winiarski via EV wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think at least some of the non-us
> households ONLY have 240 volts (i.e they don't bring 480 into the
> panel and have split transformers like we have but rather they
> groundone leg as a neutral)

I don't know about other places, but France doesn't have an equivalent of
the US split phase system.

It's 400 / 230 volt 3-phase. Older and/or larger houses often have 3-phase
installed, especially if they were once farms or businesses. Newer houses
usually just get one phase and neutral.

You can request 3-phase from the utility, and charge your EV at up to 22kW,
if the onboard charger allows.  (32a * 230v * 3ph) But the cost will be
higher.

Circuit breakers are always double-pole, so they open both hot and neutral.

> That means our 240 has a slight advantage in that each leg is only 120v above
> ground, while I think some countries have a 240 with a hot and neutralleg.

Yep, hot and neutral.  For a 3-phase installation, 3 hots and a neutral.

As I understand it, the neutral isn't grounded ahead of the house. Maybe
that's why a lightning arrestor is usually fitted to the main panel.  But
the neutral IS grounded at the main house service entrance, so the potential
to ground is 230v.

Hence a 500ma main RCD, and smaller 30ma RCDs on each panel bus.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     Listen to the mustn'ts, child; listen to the don'ts.
     Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts.
     Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me:
     Anything can happen, child.  Anything can be.

                                -- Shel Silverstein

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/