Yep, I made sure to use well under 1mA for the ground presence detect
to avoid upsetting upstream GFI.
Same with the built-in GFI test, I made sure to *not* introduce any
ground fault current externally for the internal test.
I heard stories that some EV Charger designers made that mistake and
had an automatic turn-off feature instead of a ground fault test.
Also, I only used a 4mA actual current to test the 20mA GFI, simply by
having 5 loops of the test wire through the GFI Current Transformer,
adding up to 20mA in effect.
Cor.

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/