On 11 Mar 2024 at 17:37, Cor van de Water via EV wrote:

> In my homes in either Netherlands or India, only the phase was
> protected with a breaker.

I have heard that that's the case in the UK also - breakers are single pole,
and open only the hot side.

Maybe branch circuit breakers are double pole only in France.  I think that
historically - maybe still - there was / is no standard for polarizing
French receptacles. Ungrounded plugs will fit them either way.

So it's not possible to guarantee that the shell of the E27 lamp socket in
my desk lamp is at ground potential.

Again, it's like the USA many years ago, when 2-pin plugs there were
unpolarized.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     We can't solve problems by using the same kind
     of thinking we used when we created them.

                                        -- Alan Kay

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/