On Friday 04 March 2016, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2016-03-04 13:21, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
> > On vendredi, 4 mars 2016 12.45:55 h CET Carlos E. R. wrote:
> >> Any suggestion for machines using the propietary nvida driver,
> >> installed the "easy way" (the rpm)? Should it work, or would I
> >> have to use the manual installer?  :-?
> >
> > I'm personally using a local rebuild of the actual rpm and they
> > work nicely with. G04 .
> >
> > It could be possible for myself to share the result, but I will
> > only do it for G04 version, any oldies is out of my scope, as I
> > will not have hardware to test it.
> >
> > This reminder me to perhaps also have a special rebuild for fglrx.
>
> Mine is G03.
>
> nvidia-glG03-331.79-27.1.x86_64
>
> I will probably have to use the .run

I wonder why the suse packages does not ship the nvidia-installer. It
should be able to rebuild the kernel module for other installed
kernels.

See the man page, which is installed :)

$ man nvidia-installer
 -K, --kernel-module-only
     Install  a  kernel  module  only,  and do not uninstall the
     existing driver.
 -k KERNEL-NAME, --kernel-name=KERNEL-NAME
     Build  and  install  the  NVIDIA  kernel module for the non-running
     kernel specified by KERNEL-NAME

This is how you would use the installer:

$ sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.96 -x
$ cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.96
$ ./nvidia-installer -K -k 3.12.53-40-desktop

Pity that the damn installer does not want to work against the rpm
installation because it makes stupid sanity checks.

Anyways it should also be possible to only build the module using make
$ NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.96/kernel
$ make install whatever_options

I've played around with make but couldn't find the right options to let
it find the right kernel sources, config etc. I'm sure that I had
managed that in past.

cu,
Rudi