Jesse Mazer wrote:

George Levy wrote:

Jesse Mazer wrote:

George Levy:

Bruno Marchal wrote:

we are "conscious" only because we belong to a continuum of infinite never ending stories ... ...that's what the lobian machine's "guardian angel" G* says about that: true and strictly unbelievable.

Bruno
Since you agree that the number of histories is on a continuum, you must accept that no matter how large or small a segment of the continuum is considered, the number of histories is the same. Hence measure is the same for any observer.

The whole concept of "measure" is based on assigning different probabilities to different infinite sets--the fact that two sets have the same cardinality doesn't imply they must have the same measure. For example, any continuous probability distribution used in statistics (the bell curve, for example) can be used to assign a measure to an arbitrary finite interval (which necessarily contains an infinite number of points), the measure just being the area under the curve over that interval.

Jesse

Jesse I agree with you from the third person perspective. You can only take a measure of infinite sets when you have more then one set . In other words you need at least two sets so you can compare them. However in the case of first person perspective, the observer has only his own set. All he has is the cardinality of the set and he has only one set. No other set to compare it to. The cardinality is the same for all first person observers.

George

But if you have one set with an infinite number of elements, you can assign different measures to different infinite subsets of that set. And weren't you talking about an infinite "number of histories" above?

Jesse

Jesse,
the infinite number of histories refer to the continuum of histories. The first person observer can only perceive through his own experiments that physics in his own world, provides a infinite number of histories as large as the continuum. All he knows is that his own history is embedded in a continuum of histories.

George