On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 01:41:52PM +1000, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> However, I don't see why having an interesting future should make the
> difference between
> consciousness and zombiehood. How do I know that I am not currently living
> through a virtual

Sure, but I don't see how I am conscious in the first place. Yet the
fact remains that I do.

Until we have a better idea of the mechanisms behind consciousness, it
is a little too early to rule out any specific conclusion. I think
Penrose and Lockwood are dead wrong in their specific quantum
mechanical connections with consciousness, but I retain a suspicion
that quantum effects are important in some way.

may safely ignore this attachment.

Mathematics