1Z wrote:

> Whatever properties are picked out by a computation
> will be relevant to it as a computation.

Yes, of course. But how are these properties supposed to simultaneously
produce a state of consciousness stably linked to the 'computation'
when this self-same computation could have been instantiated in
arbitrarily many physically distinct ways? The computations would be
equivalent, but you appear to be claiming that however they are
implemented, arbitrarily many distinct physical properties somehow
become equally 'relevant' to generating the same state of
consciousness.

> There is no requirement that
> the same connscious state is implemented
> by the same physical state, so the multiple
> reliasability of computations is not a problem

So you say, but just *what* physical properties are supposed to be
relevant and *how* do they contrive always to manifest equivalently
within totally different implementations of a computation? Is this just
supposed to be a mystery? My point is that under materialism,
'computation' is just a metaphor and what is directly relevant is the
activity of the physical substrate in producing the results that we
interpret in this way. What's critical to computational equivalence is
not the internal states of the physical substrate, but the consistency
of the externalised results thus produced.

But with consciousness, it's precisely the internal states that are
relevant. And here your reasoning appears to become circular - a
particular set of physical properties can be construed as
'externalising' a particular set of computational results at a given
point in time (fair enough) so, whatever these properties happen to be,
they're must also be 'relevant' in generating a specific internal
conscious state - and so must any arbitrary alternative set of
properties that externalise the same computational results. Only
because you say so, AFAICS. By making the rationale for supervention of
consciousness on physical activity completely arbitrary in this way (it
just *somehow* tracks a 'computation' however instantiated), you've
effectively abandoned it as a materialist explanation. Didn't
Hofstadter use this sleight of intuition to conjure consciousness from
anthills and books - or was he perhaps just joking?

David