I was using David Chalmer's terminology. The science, however advanced it
might become, is the "easy problem". Suppose alien scientists discover that
human consciousness is caused by angels that reside in tiny black holes inside
every neuron. They study these angels so closely that they come to understand
them as well as humans understand hammers or screwdrivers today: well enough
to build a human and predict his every response. Despite such detailed
knowledge,
they might still have no idea that humans are conscious, or what it is like to
be a
human, or how having one type of angel in your head feels different to having a
different type of angel. For that matter, we have no idea whether hammers and
screwdrivers have any kind of phenomenal consciousness. We assume that they do
not, but maybe they experience something which for us is utterly beyond
imagination.
It's not a question science can ever answer, even in principle.

Stathis Papaioannou