Brent Meeker writes:> >  > This raises the question again of "what is the
minimum duration of a > > conscious state"? You mention 5sec as being a long
time for a > > coincidental match (would there still be two consciousnesses for
that > > 5sec - I think not), but what about 300msec, or 100msec. There's not >
> much consciousness in 100msec; so little that it may be occuring > > hundreds
of times over in different brains.> >  >> >  > Brent Meeker> > > > I think the
minimum duration of a conscious experience is of the order > > of 100 msec, so
if you are shown a red flash it will take at least this > > long before you
perceive a red flash. This implies a minimum duration > > for an observer
moment, although the interval can be divided up > > arbitrarily (for example,
in teleportation thought experiments) leaving > > the experience intact.
However, this raises a difficulty. Suppose you > > are shown a red flash and 99
msec later you are teleported to a distant > > place. Once you materialise,
your neurons will continue their processing > > of the red flash for another 1
msec and at that point (i.e. 100 msec > > after being shown the flash) you will
perceive it. Next, suppose that > > you have no past but are created at the
teleportation receiving station > > from information *as if* you had been shown
a red flash 99 msec ago. > > Your newly-created brain will process information
for another 1 msec and > > then you should perceive the red flash. However, in
this case you have > > only been alive for 1 msec, and we can easily change the
experiment to > > make this interval as short as we want. Does this mean that
an observer > > moment can actually be instantaneous?> > > > Stathis
Papaioannou> > This example implicitly assumes a kind of dualism or cartesian
theatre in which the brain does some processing *and then* you (the really real
you) perceives it.  This is the idea Dennett criticizes in "Consciousness
Explained".  The perception must be the processing and even if the flash is
very short and it's perceived duration is very short, the brain processes
producing that perception can be much longer.> > Brent MeekerDo you doubt that
you would perceive the red flash in the case where you have not had 100 msec to
process it? At the least you would remember seeing the flash, implying that the
stream of consciousness will survive division into arbitrarily small
intervals.Stathis Papaioannou