On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 03:36:24PM +1100, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> Russell Standish writes:> There is good reason to suppose that the absolute
> measure of an> observer moment is inversely proportional to the exponential
> of the> OM's complexity (this is discussed elsewhere in my book). In such a>
> case, newborn OM's have vastly greater likelihood of being experienced> than
> (say) 40 year old adult OMs.But was is the relevance of this from a first
> person perspective? It's like saying you are vastly more likely to find
> yourself a bacterium than a human. This is the case if you consider youself
> standing ouside of the universe, trying to predict whether you will end up a
> bacterium, human neonate or 40 year old - which I guess is what you mean when
> you say the ASSA is a predictor of birth order - but obviously if you have
> any stance at all, you are already embedded in the universe, not a
> disembodied mind contemplating its possible futures.Stathis Papaiaonnou

The SSA relates to sampling births. The SSSA extends this to observer
moments, and had some utility in reasoning about certain
paradoxes. But neither the SSA nor SSSA deals with time.

The ASSA and the RSSA refer to specifically subjective expectations,
given you are who you are. I know you are firmly in the "RSSA camp",
so probably find the ASSA a little incomprehensible, but it really is
a consistent position (although the evidence that we're not
experiencing babyhood is little hard to explain in the ASSA picture).

Cheers