Bruno,
a different reflection from Stathis's, but similarly not a counter-argument....
First off: George Carlin is a comedian and his humorous remarks are not subject
to be discussed in a serious argumentation. I like him - at least the "old"
Carlin.
*
to your #1:
:your" atheist has got to believe in the existence (maybe only as a valid
topic) something to deny it. To speak about it in a yes/no fashion. He had to
accept that "it is a topic".
This is why I formulated "an atheist needs a god to deny".
*
to your #2:
"Not to believe in something" is IMO not implying "to believe in something
else". Anything else.  Not even 'generally'.  Example: a solipsist. Or a 'comp'
pantheist. (Caution: this word just appeared without consideration, I do not
argue for its reasonable application).
Agnostic IMO is just pointing to the lack of well defined knowledge about
ANYTHING, not restricted to god or religion, as it earlier was used. I consider
myself a 'Science-Agnostic" because the ideas I take for most acceptable have
no firm(?) foundations.
*
to the reply of Stathis - reading::
-------------------------------------
1) Do you believe we should also be agnostic about Santa Claus and the Tooth
Fairy? If so, should the balance of belief in these entities (i.e. belief
for/against) be similar to that in the case of God? I ask in all seriousness as
you are a logician and there *is* a huge difference, logically if not
practically, between atheism and agnosticism.
2) I don't know that atheists are much more likely to believe in a material
universe than other people.
Stathis Papaioannou
I consider his #1 - AS:  "asantaclausist" or "atoothfairyist" - not 'agnostic'
- like: "atheist". (Unless you believe in 'something like that' to exist).
An agnostic "is not sure" but does not deny the existence FOR SURE.
The difference, as I feel, between  "I don't know" and "I no that no" - as I
take Bruno's emphasis. (And I try to use only my own common sense logic).
With StP's #2 I agreed above.

John M