  From: Stathis Papaioannou
  To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 10:48 PM
  Subject: Re: Speaking about "Mathematicalism"

  On 4/9/07, Quentin Anciaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    >  From: 1Z
    >
    > Brunoism relies on Platonism as well as computationalism.
    > Computationalism can be as true as tue can be, but so long as
    > Platonism is false, so long as a computer needs a physical instantion,
    > Brunoism does not follow.  Brunoism doesn't follow from physicalism,
    > it is in oppostion to it.

    Could you explain what is "physical instantion" ? What means "physical" ?

  It's quite reasonable and straightforward at first glance: you need a
physical computer to run a conscious program. But Maudlin- and Putnam-type
arguments show that this idea is flawed, implying either that computationalism
is wrong or else that you don't need a physical computer to run a conscious
program. Peter doesn't accept these arguments, and has also hinted in the past
that he is not certain about computationalism.

  Stathis Papaioannou

8:34 PM