Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> On 01/06/07, *Torgny Tholerus* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>
>     Stathis Papaioannou skrev:
>>     On 01/06/07, *Torgny Tholerus* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>     <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>>
>>         I behave AS IF I am conscious because the natural selection
>>         has favored that type of behavior.
>>

>>     Which implies you really are conscious, because otherwise why
>>     would evolution have gone to the trouble of making *me* conscious
>>     if it could have got away without it?
>     It did got away without it...  ;-)
>

> I assure you, at least one entity in the universe is conscious: me. If
> evolution could have made me a zombie, it would have. Therefore, it
> seems reasonable to assume that evolution couldn't help but grant me
> consciousness as a side-effect or epiphenomenon, the real prize being
> intelligent behaviour. There are some philosophers (eg. Daniel Dennett)
> who would argue that consciousness is *nothing but* this intelligent
> behaviour, and the idea of a zombie is logically incoherent, but I'm not
> entirely convinced that this is right.
> --
> Stathis Papaioannou

I'm with Dennett, except that I think logic is to weak a tool to rule out
zombies.  It would require proving a contradiction from "X acts like a
conscious human" and "X is not conscious".  But all you really need is to show
it's nomologically impossible - i.e. would imply a violation of presumed
scientific knowledge.  I think that may be possible.

Brent Meeker