Hi John,

Le 25-févr.-08, à 15:02, John Mikes a écrit :

> Bruno,
> my deepest sympathy to your computer-loss!!
>  it comes up frequently in my nightmares to have a similar
> 'catastrophe' on my own and the desperation wakes me that I cannot
> recover my 'recent past' before I have recovered it,

It sounds awful!

> like the lost eyeglasses what you cannot look for until you found it.

I have often a similar problem: without my eyeglasses I cannot see them
... (unless they are infinitely far from me!)

> I had one such deluge-loss of data, when the very first virus was
> loanched in the 90s, I fell into it right before my wife warned
> me about such danger as told in the actual News on TV.
> I lost all my graphics - irrecoverably.

What a pity. Someone told me the story of an employee who has encoded
typed texts on a computer for four years without doing backup and then
it crashed! We often hear stories like that.

> Of course this is no consolation, but you may have most of the
> material on other computers and on paper.

Yes. I have just get a moment of panic for some important document of
the year 2002-2004, where I used a PC, but I found eventually that I
did have make a double backup home/university of that PC although I
hardly remember it. Before and after those years I was and still am
using a MAC.
Actually I was very glad with that PC except when I begun to be
attacked by viruses which have make me decide to come back on Mac. I
did never succeed to eliminate the viruses on that PC. Fortunately,
those viruses were not of the destructive type, only terribly annoying,
slowing down the machine a lot, and distracting with many irrelevant
messages.

> A terrible job and please, forgive my flippant remark on the recovery
> of your 'unfinished' texts:
> Have a "Normal Hauptman" read the recovered texts...-- I try to
> explain:
> The Austria-Hungary War Ministry had a position of a "Normal Hauptman"
> ('average lieutenant') who's job was to READ all ordinances planned to
> be sent to the troops. If he understood them and could tell what they
> said, it was issued.
> I do not volunteer for this position with you: find a smarter one...

Thanks for the idea.

Best regards,

Bruno

PS If you want I can send you the 1,5 mega complex-UD-movie, tell me
out-of-line (I don't want to take the risk of crashing your computer!).
In fact I am not sure it can go through because it could be that there
is a limitation access on the university band.