Michael Rosefield wrote:
> I think there's so many different questions involved in this topic
> it's going to be hard to sort them out. There's 'what produces our
> sense of self', 'how can continuity of identity be quantified', 'at
> what point do differentiated substrates produce different
> consciousnesses', 'can the nature of consciousness be captured through
> snapshots of mental activity, or only through a dynamic interpretation
> taken over a period of time?'... and it's far too late for me to
> attempt to unravel all that!
>
> My feeling, though, is that once you've managed to assign some
> informational entity as being a conscious mind, then you could track
> it through time.
But notice that everything you say about paths and variables and
measure, apply to any system.  Saying it is a conscious  process doesn't
change anything.

My guess is that eventually we'll be able to create AI/robots that seem
as intelligent and conscious as, for example, dogs seem. We'll also be
able to partially map brains so that we can say that when these neurons
do this the person is thinking thus and so. Once we have this degree of
understanding and control, questions about "consciousness" will no
longer seem relevant.  They'll be like the questions that philosophers
asked about life before we understood the molecular functions of living
systems.  They would ask:Where is the life?  Is a virus alive?  How does
life get passed from parent to child?   The questions won't get
answered; they'll just be seen as the wrong questions.

Brent
"One cannot guess the real difficulties of a problem before having
solved it."
   --- Carl Ludwig Siegel