Quentin Anciaux wrote:
> 2008/11/1 Brent Meeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>> Well if I'm Kory or Bruno, I'm not me...
>>>
>> You distorted my hypothetical.  Could you not still be you and simply
>> have the mistaken notion that your name is "Kory"? If your earliest
>> childhood memories were replaced by Bruno's, would you cease to exist?
>>

> I think I cannot be me without *my* memories... I equate memories and
> me. If not what is me, if I'm still me without my memories ?

But surely you don't require *all* your memories just to be you.  And
what about false memories?  What if you had just one memory that was
false of you but true of Bruno?  You have no doubt forgotten many things
from your childhood, so, as measured by information, you are quite
different from the person you were then.

>>>  And if my grandma had b...
>>> her name would be grandpa.
>>>
>>> If consciousness is information and feeling being an 'I' (and also a
>>> particular 'I')
>>>
>> I think that is a false intuition.  I don't believe that you directly
>> feel being Quentin Anciaux, it is a memory and an inference made up of
>> many bits of information.  You are not feeling it at every moment, but
>> only when you think about "Who I am." at which time an appropriate name
>> and life history comes to mind.
>>
>> Brent
>>

> It is not an intuition, it is an assumption
Your "feeling being a particular I" is an assumption?  How can a feeling
be an assumption?  Isn't it a perception or at most the interpretation
of a perception?

Brent