Hi,

> consciousness, bearing burdensome memories of repugnant actions,

What about consciousness only bearing memories of wonderful actions?

> either surrender the possibility of free will (fatalism)

Denying free will does not imply fatalism! The whole of Nietzsche's
philosophy is a monument dedicated to gainsay that error.

I agree with Bruno that "the will" is real, but speaking of "free"
should be avoided, it is incoherent. It suggest a separateness, an
ontological doubling, which does not make sense. Ask yourself: free of
what? You will not find a good answer...

Cheers,
Günther