----- Original Message -----
From: "Günther Greindl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: Consciousness and free will

> consciousness, bearing burdensome memories of repugnant actions,

What about consciousness only bearing memories of wonderful actions?

Mine dwells on bad actions. (Jewish guilt perhaps.)

> either surrender the possibility of free will (fatalism)

Denying free will does not imply fatalism!

But determinism does, no?

The whole of Nietzsche's
philosophy is a monument dedicated to gainsay that error.

Yet most of his personal life seems to affirm it.

I agree with Bruno that "the will" is real, but speaking of "free"
should be avoided, it is incoherent. It suggest a separateness, an
ontological doubling, which does not make sense. Ask yourself: free of
what? You will not find a good answer...

I stand corrected. Thanks for the hint.  M.A.