From: "Kim Jones" <kimjo...@ozemail.com.au>
To: <everything-l...@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: KIM 2.1

On 21/12/2008, at 6:12 AM, John Mikes wrote:

> Kim,
> although I try to keep my common sense, I do enjoy sometimes the
> follies in the transport and zombie etc. abominations.
> To bring in, however, why a 'machine' should be in English a lady,
> is too much for me.
> In 'my' language there are NO genders at all,  almost  as in Swedish
> (utrum = human and ne-utrum = non human?) - using pronouns.
> In my view the gnder-designation in many IndoEuropean languages is
> somewhat arbitrary and just serves to deface the foreigner.
> *
> Anything 'gay' is sex-related (identical that is).

I think we can and should do without genders, yes. This bothersome
language practice arose with the over-fussy latino concept of the
definite/indefinite article; the need for a word to always precede the
noun with an introductory flourish of some kind: "The" "la" "il"
"some" "une" "those" - it's essentially a rhythmic function of the way
Romance (and English) languages work. "The dog" "a house" "some
apples" "les lettres" - it's the good old "tee-DUM tee-DUM tee-DUM"
rhythmic language pattern archetype. "Iambic Pentametre" in English
verse. It's clearly not NECESSARY to assign gender to objects, but the
MUSICAL language function of always having to go "tee-DUM" when you
designate something means the system responds to that with whatever
fits. It's perfectly and utterly illogical in every other sense.

Note that TONIC languages (Russian, Japanese etc. ) - languages which
don't bother with an article or distinguish the plural (who cares if
it's one or many? Why do you have to attribute a gender to
everything?) - any languages MINUS "tee" before "DUM" have a
completely different rhythmic feel and verse scansion.

They go "Dum dum dum dum duuuum dum duuuuum" or any variant of that,
always minus the referrent weak upbeat syllable "tee"

"tee-DUM tee-DUM tee-DUM" pockmarks the whole of the English language.
Imagine if we had opted for genders as well like the latinos. Why the
Germans succumbed to it as well can only have something to do with
their being civilised rather quickly by the Romans

> You wanted to mention a-sexual? Well, a cute machine can be 'sexy').
> (Ferrari sportscar?)

Jeremy Clarkson and I would probably agree with you - Ferraris are sexy.

> *
> If Bruno wants to help you
> "climb on the shoulders of Post, Godel, Lob,
> > Solovay, Matiyasevitch (among others):
> (like: Robinson, Peano) I remember that all those learned names
> acted in a secluded domain at a lower level than ours - in the ever
> broadening epistemic enrichment's cognitive inventory (not
> restricted to math-view). It
> broadened since their time. This list is at a much higher (broader)
> level than it was for the named mathematicians.

Well - those mathematicians didn't have "Grand Theft Auto-IV" and
iPods to play with, so how could they possibly have as broad a field
of view as us?

> And:
> Do not lose your musical point of view.

see above!