2009/2/12 Tom Caylor <daddycay...@msn.com>:
> The effects of have clones is interesting, though, regardless of the
> "sapping strength" notion.  You would have reason to worry about being
> killed if there were clones and then a "shell game" was played with
> you being mixed up with the clones, and then all of the "yous" were
> killed except one.  All of the "yous" would have reason to worry.
> This has implications on ethics of cloning and killing clones.
> As far as measure, it seems that having a clone of you and killing one
> of you while you were asleep would be equivalent (w.r.t how much you
> should worry at least) to not having any clones and someone saying
> they were going to roll a die and if it came up odd they would kill
> you.

I wouldn't worry if the clones were all kept in perfect lockstep. If
one of my clones survived, I would survive. It doesn't matter that the
clones are made up of different matter, as long as this matter is in a
configuration such that it could be a future version of myself. For
this is what happens in ordinary life: the matter comprising my body
is almost all replaced over the course of months or years, but I still
feel that I'm me. Whatever you want to call the important part of me -
mind, consciousness, soul - is preserved if the pattern making up my
brain is preserved.

Stathis Papaioannou