On Feb 15, 6:13 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2011, at 18:16, 1Z wrote:

> >> All your talk about numbers which are not real seems to me
> >> nonsensical. Also you seems to know what is real and what is not
> >> real,
>
> > Sure. Horses are real and unicorns aren't. Didn't you know that?
>
> I meant "in general".

I don't need anything more than
1) I am real
2) Unreal things don't generate real things

I think both of those are hard to dispute.

> >> which is a bit absurd at the start.
> >> Could you define what you mean by "real"?
>
> > i can point to my own reality.
>
> To your own consciousness. I grant that. But nothing else. Wake up!

> >> Right. But then Comp is CT + "yes doctor", where "yes doctor" is a
> >> memo for "it exists a level of description of my generalized body
> >> such
> >> that .... " (see the paper).
>
> > I am not a description. I for descriptions.
>
> I am not a description too. Neither from the first nor the third
> person view.
> The difficulty of logic consists in the understanding of the
> difference between a fact which might be true, like 1+1=2, and a
> description of that fact, like "1+1=2". Modern tools makes it possible
> to handle that difference in purely formal ways.
> The difficulty in MGA consists in understanding the difference between
> a computation (be it immaterial or material) and a description of a
> computation (be it immaterial or material).
 existence

> >> I don't use that platonism, and given that I come up with a
> >> conclusion
> >> related to the theological Platonism, I prefer to keep the
> >> "arithmetical realism" vocabulary. It means that A v ~A for A
> >> arithmetical. Sometimes I say that it means that (A v ~A) is true
> >> independently of me, you, etc.
>
> > You cannot come to conclusions about my existence
> > with a merely formal statement of bivalence
>
> I use bivalence but also "yes doctor".

But YD doesn't get anywhere if I am only agreeing
to a physical substitution

> Then after concluding, we can
> take as theory of everything just elementary arithmetic, and it is
> explained in all detail how to recover formally physics (among other
> things) from that.

> >> It is not so difficult to imagine. If you can imagine being
> >> reincarneted in a virtual reality, like in a dream, you can uderstand
> >> that the feeling of "matter" is a construct of your mind. Then it is
> >> just a matter of study to understand that arithmetical truth contains
> >> all the emulation of all programs,
>
> > As it is purely hypothetical it doesn't contain a ny actual
> > running programmes.
>
> Actual is an indexical, and can be relative to numbers' configurations.

If a multiverse is not actual, no-one within it can make
and indexical judgement of actuality.

> >> That is your idiosyncracy. You can add as many "fictive" terms as you
> >> want, it will not change the validity of the reasoning, and the
> >> testability of comp (+ the classical theory of knowledge).
>
> > If it is testable, it is false.
>
> Why?

Not enough WR's.

> >> You will not find any book in physics, except by Zristotle which use
> >> the notion of primary matter.
>
> > They all do. Physicists think matter/energy exists.
>
> Some does not. John A. Wheeler is open to the idea that physics emerge
> from something non physical (cf It from Bit).

And everyone else doesn't.

> Anyway, to refer to a what people think is not an argument.

Then why is it refer to books?

> >> You will not find any book on computers which mention the notion of
> >> matter.
>
> > They don't mention pixie dust either. One cannot
> > conclude from that that anyone has a background
> > assumption that computers are made of pixie dust.
>
> The point is that the notion of computer used in the proof is the
> traditional mathematical notion.

There is  no mathematical notion such that you can run a  programme on
it.

> >> That is why I make those things precise through the MGA. But it helps
> >> people to understand that we are immaterial before learning the MGA
> >> stuff. I am immaterial with comp in the sense that I can in principle
> >> chose a different body at all times, so I am not my body.
>
> > That is misleading for the usual reasons.
>
> Klein on Maudlin?

No: "not dependent on a particular body" does not mean "capable of
existing with no body"