On 2/15/2011 11:28 AM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

2011/2/15 1Z <peterdjo...@yahoo.com <mailto:peterdjo...@yahoo.com>>

    <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:

    > >> All your talk about numbers which are not real seems to me
    > >> nonsensical. Also you seems to know what is real and what is not
    > >> real,
    >
    > > Sure. Horses are real and unicorns aren't. Didn't you know that?
    >
    > I meant "in general".

    I don't need anything more than
    1) I am real
    2) Unreal things don't generate real things

    I think both of those are hard to dispute.

You arbitrarily choose the unreal things... without any argument that prove that they are unreal (or real or whatever). The principle is sound, the choice is not without arguments. You say numbers don't exist... but as I said before, I can think about them in my mind...

Actually I don't think you can. You can think of the symbol "7" and the word "seven" and you can probably think of seven things, xxxxxxx, but I doubt you can think of the number seven. I'm pretty sure you can't think of the set of all sets with seven members. And I'm quite sure you can't think of all the integers or all arithmetic.

I exist, hence they transitively exist through my mind at the least. I do not chose if a number is prime or not hence I'm not inventing them as I'm not inventing the world around me.

Can you think of Sherlock Holmes? a pink unicorn? Can you think of a number that is one bigger than the biggest number you can think of (which per Peano must exist)?