On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 05:20:24PM -0400, Stephen Paul King wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>
>     But does this only make the problem worse? The quantity of
> information that would have to be specified in analogue recordings
> would be at least some power greater than the information necessary to
> specify the finite bit digital version!

I don't think the information content of an analogue recording is even
well defined, without specifying a coarse graining. But I don't see
how that is related to the Maudlin / Movie Graph argument. I'm open to
be convinced otherwise, though.

I would like to be wrong on this, but ISTM that the Newtonian picture of the
universe demands infinite computational resources to implement the Laplace
Demon. I am trying to make sense of the Bekenstein bound and an idea in resent
discussion by David Deutsch in his On Optimism speech – a speech that I wish
all persons would watch and comprehend.
>     I do overthink things. My lovely and brilliant wife often points
this out to me.

:)

Please allow me to ask another question. Is the notion of an “observer moment”
corresponding to “the smallest possible conscious experience” related to
Bruno’s concept of substitution level? ISTM that both act like the idea of a
coarse graining on an ensemble that is used to define the entropy of a system
in that all of the members of the ensemble that are indistinguishable from a
macroscopic point of view. Related to this see:
http://dare.uva.nl/document/134446 and http://arxiv.org/abs/1005.3972 . In our
search to define a generic non-anthropocentric notion of an observer, I think
that this notion of a lower bound on observable differences may help us see a
better outline of the idea that we are looking for.

It could be. Maybe Bruno has an opinion. ISTM that transformations of
implementations that leave observer moments invariant must be below
the substitution level, so you're probably on the right track here.