On 11 May 2011, at 00:29, John Mikes wrote:

Hi, Bruno,
excuse me for getting lost between you and Brent. You are absolutely right: I did not follow, study and understand those many thousand pages of discussions over the more than a decade on this list, together with the many tenthousand pages (not) learned to understand them. Indeed I am out of the vocabulary.

Those are redundant explanation of the content of the sane04 paper, which is about 20 pages long.

Here are some little nitpicks I feel I can respond to:
you wrote:
"? (I guess you are trivializing the notion of consciousness). You might be right, but with comp the light switch is a non well defined object, like any piece of matter. So what you say is not false, but senseless."
\
I was trying to trivialize Brent's robot, as you identified: 'any piece of matter'. And my example was trivial, in such respect. About my inquiry for consciousness: I questioned "WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?"
your reply:

"...Indeed, comp does solve the 'hard problem', up to a reduction of physics to a modality of universal machine's self-reference (making the theory testable)."

does not enlighten me: "a modality of universal machine's self reference" draws my question:
WHAT modality?

The modality of Gödel's provability predicate, and its (8) intensional variants (which I used also in my arithmetical intepretation of Platinus/Plato).

HOW does that self reference work?

It is a chapter of theoretical computer science.

Testability is not an argument, it may be a way TO an argument. Did the "hard problem" change from its original content which was the topical identification of physical data measurable in our neuronal system? (Mind-Body?)

Yes. the mind-body problem is reduced into an explanation of the "illusion of bodies" in the dream by numbers (we *assume* comp, and a dream is an infinity of computations in the universal dovetailing).

(Plus: as I recall you were not too concrete about our knowledge of the "universal Machine" either).

Ask precision. But all this is standard theoretical computer science.

LIFE in my views is not biological, biology (and other life sciences) try to get a handle on CERTAIN aspects we select in the generality we may call 'life'.

Biology is the science of life. It is not life itself, of course. all science can only grasp tiny aspect of what they are studying.

I think we agreed that there is no such thing as The TRUTH - there are tenets you or me may accept as 'true' in some sense. I think I already sent you my 'draft' about "Science-Religion" about belief systems.

But I do believe in "The Truth". I don't know it, of course, that is why I propose assumption and reasoning.

Best,

Bruno