On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:44:37AM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
But of course we can prove that a machine can think to the same
degree we can prove other people think.  That we cannot prove it
from some self-evident set of axioms is completely unsurprising.
This comports with my idea that with the development of AI the
"question of consciousness" will come to be seen as a archaic, like
"What is life?".

Brent
"What is life?" is _still_ a vexing question. Biologists don't worry
too much about it, because the answer to it doesn't really help their
day-to-day work. But in the Artificial Life field, it is more
acute. Mostly we dodge the issue by saying we're studying "life-like"
phenomena, and leave it at that, but at every ALife conference I've
been to, there has been a session (with multiple papers addressing
this or connected topics).

And isn't that because natural life has been found to be a vague and ambiguous category that is multi-dimensional. Which is just what I expect to discover about consciousness.