Russell:

"...Life-like phenomena"
implies something 'life-like'. So: LIKE WHAT are those phenomena?
I would not turn to my other side in peace that biologists are negligent. I
ask them:
what do you have in mind when you SAY:  l i f e  ?  (their base line: the
'bio')
It is more than just biochem churnings of C,O,H,N,P,...based molecules.
Robert Rosen said: Metabolism and Repair - but on WHAT substrate?  Brent is
right, the question is open. Then again consider the phenomena in different
'physical' environments - maybe in totally different circumstantial ones.
Alife has wide borders I suppose. Hi temp, anerobic, hi/low pressure,
different Mendelejeff set-up, different gravity, density, etc. etc.?
Consciousness is not far and (my agnostic views) the so far unknown factors
get involved as we learn about them. I call this one a response to relations
(formerly: information).
Life can be anything that changes? where does mentality come in?
John M