Indeed... we may have made a mistake in our historical movement towards a
total rejection of metaphysical speculation in favor of the at hand... we
may have acted prematurely and out of too much impatience and yearning for
absolutes.

I think metaphysical speculation is coming back into the picture and for
good:

"This discipline may be called theology, because the principles of beings
and the first and most perfect causes of things are what is most of all
divine. (Asclepius, *In Metaph*. 4.1–3)

we do not know the first and most perfect causes of things.....

and they may be of a non-reductionist and non-external nature.