2011/7/11 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>

> On 7/10/2011 8:16 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> You confuse perhaps with Schmidhuber's position, or some digital physicist
>> (DP). But as I have explained many times here that this position does not
>> work. Computationalism or digital mechanism (DM) is the idea that "I" am a
>> machine, and by the first person indeterminacy, and the way the laws of
>> physics have to emerge from computations, the physical universe (nor the
>> fundamental reality) cannot be described entirely by a computation. On the
>> contrary it is a sum on an infinity of computations.
>>
>> If the universe is a computation, then "I" am computable, but then it
>> cannot be a computation (by what I say above, it is not obvious). So with
>> comp, or without comp, the physical universe is not a computation. With
>> comp, the laws of nature are not computable, or have strong non computable
>> components.
>>
>> DM -> ~DP
>> DP -> DM,
>>
>> So DP -> ~DP, so ~DP.
>>

>> Bruno
>>

> This confuses me.  When you say the universe is not computable, you mean it
> is not the process of computing a function.  But you think it is generated
> by a UD.  Right?  In other words, you are saying what a UD does is *not* a
> computation.
>
> Brent

No he is saying that the univese is the result of an infinity of computation
going through its current state... an infinity of computation is *not
computable*, hence digital  physics is false. The UD of course runs all
programs and is computable, but the UD generates and runs *all* programs,
it's not a program that computes the universe.

Quentin