On 7/13/2011 3:03 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 13 Jul 2011, at 10:28, Kim Jones wrote:

What does the pronoun "its" refer to in this sentence? The UD or the universe? How can something be the result of a process going through it? It has to exist already before anything can "go through it". Doesn't it? Could either Quentin or Bruno please render this thought in French, please? I will understand it better. Thanks.

I cannot even think in french! Really, I have been asked to write a paper in french, for a book, and I realize that I am so used to write on this in english that I have to think a lot to find french expressions to convey the thought.

The "its" is neither the UD, nor the universe, but the observer (you). The observable part of the universe that the observer is observing here and now is determined by the collection of computations (in the UD) going through the state of the observer <here and now>. It is the 3-state of the observer <here and now>.

Just imagine that there is somewhere a DU running in the universe. Then take into account the first person indeterminacy and its invariance for huge computation delays, its invariance for the real/virtual change, well, all the first person invariance described in the first six steps of the UD Argument. You can see, then, that, whatever experience you are doing in your present, your subjective future is determined by the infinity of computations made by that UD and which go through the computational state of your mind during the experiences. OK?

Bruno

OK - I think. The indeterminacy arises because among the computations that the UD is performing there are many realizations of universes in which "you" have the same mental state. But the continuations of those computations are not identical since they are in different universes. But it seems that this requires some way of identifying what part of a universe is "you". How are "you" picked out? By point of view (in the general sense of local interaction)?