On Aug 3, 9:02 am, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/8/3 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>
> > On Aug 3, 7:40 am, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > 2011/8/3 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>
> > > When for all possible inputs, it outputs the same as the system it is
> > > mimicking...
> > Wouldn't that be never, since there is not necessarily a limit to the
> > number of possible inputs or outputs of consciousness?

> You'll never be able to prove it... You can't prove either that you are
> conscious.

Exactly! Which is why 'proof' is not a valid epistemology for
examining consciousness and why the whole notion of relating conscious
experience to 'outputs' is a red herring.

> The thing is that if for every instance of test that you could think of and
> *perform*, the simulated system would react as the "real" system. Then you
> should tentatively accept it is conscious.

Whether we accept it as conscious or not doesn't mean that it *is*
conscious. Children accept that stuffed animals are conscious, so